Can we all please stop overreacting?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 07:37:16 PDT 2010

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:14:24 -0400, Daniel Keep
> <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

To succinctly reply to the majority of your post: thanks for responding.  :)

I understand your position, and sympathise.  The whole situation is
ridiculous (not merely the current developments).  But with the
combination of Walter's fear of IP issues and Tango's licensing
situation, I suppose something like this was inevitable.

Personally, I just hope that there are enough bridges left standing
after this to get the mess sorted out.

>> As far as I can see, most of what's happened since then has been a
>> massive overreaction.
>
> Is it?  How about you write a really cool piece of code and then try to
> contribute it only to find that Tango or Walter has mild concerns about
> it's legitimacy.  How would you feel if Tango suggested you might have
> stolen their code?
>
> -Steve

I won't discuss the details, but I *have* been accused of ripping off
someone else's code.  It was particularly hurtful given that my code was
written entirely separately without ever having even used, let alone
seen, the other person's code.  The accusation was based, literally, on
the name of a single function.

And yeah, it really upset me to be called, more or less, of being a
cheat and a liar.

But I didn't copy from them, and I knew that the accusation was
baseless.  Rather than throw away my code, I double-checked that there
was nothing that could be reasonably seen to be copied and moved on.