Can we all please stop overreacting?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Apr 30 08:10:04 PDT 2010

Daniel Keep wrote:

> lurker wrote:
>> The Tango developers could have handed over all copyrights to Walter or Phobos. This would solve the licensing problems if anything needs to change later.
>
> I don't know how many times this has to be explained.
>
> To quote myself:
>
> "Thirdly, the Tango maintainers have *ALREADY TRIED* to change Tango's
> license.  They wanted to move to just Apache 2.0 on the basis that it
> was similar enough to the AFL to allow this without too much trouble.
>
> "The problem was that of the 50-odd contributors, there are people who
> they simply couldn't get in contact with.  Without express permission,
> they *CANNOT* legally change the license to something incompatible."

That's true, but largely irrelevant. Individual developers can make
agreements about relicensing of their personal contributions, and
stating that they're happy with their code being used in Phobos. Sean,
Steven, and I did. AFAIK the other Tango developers have not.
Everything's in version control, you can see who's contributed to which
components. Sure, there'll be places where a dozen uncontactable people
have been involved. But that shouldn't be an argument for making no
progress.

It seems very clear to me that there are Tango developers who do not
want any of their code to be used in Phobos. Which is fine, that's their
choice. But I wish they'd have the decency to say so, so that the
community stops wasting time on the issue.

I've tried for the past two years to make tiny steps towards unity. But
Tango does not seem to be interested.

Please tell me I'm wrong.