Can we all please stop overreacting?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 11:13:16 PDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:36:02 -0400, Chris Wright <dhasenan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> == Quote from Don (nospam at nospam.com)'s article
>> That's true, but largely irrelevant. Individual developers can make
>> agreements about relicensing of their personal contributions, and
>> stating that they're happy with their code being used in Phobos.
>
> Walter said, basically, that since it's possible that SHOO may have used
> code from Tango, Tango devs should relicense their work. That's
> insulting. It's admitting theft and demanding that the victim call it a
> gift. If it were a policy, Walter would have a way of badgering us into
> relicensing most of Tango against our will.

This is completely false.  Walter did not say that.  He said that he will
not participate in the transaction, even if such copying didn't occur,
unless Tango says it's ok to copy that code.  It's like someone you don't
know tries to give you $1000 and at the same time, your friend says that
they might be missing $1000.  You tell the person giving you the money
that since there is no way to prove that he did or didn't steal the money,
your friend must say it's ok for you to accept it.

How is that any admission of guilt or theft?  How is that any kind of
demand of your friend?  How does this do anything against anyone's will?
All parties involved here are able to do whatever they want, Walter is
just giving a set of conditions that he will accept.  No demands were made.

-Steve