New debugger coming soon!

Aldo Nunez aldoSkipallthisNunez1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 10:44:27 PDT 2010

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 06:33:50 -0700, awishformore <awishformore at nospam.plz>
wrote:

> On 09/08/2010 06:45, Aldo Nunez wrote:
>> I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this
>> week. It'll
>> be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger
>> with, along
>> with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.
>>
>> I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
>
> Very nice, sir!
>
> Does the plug-in work for all versions of VS? And is it supposed to work
> with Visual D?
>
> /Max

It's for D 2. From the beginning I had no intent to make it compatible
with D 1.

The Visual Studio plug-in is for 2005, 2008, and 2010. I haven't looked
into if it works for earlier versions.

My understanding is that VisualD could easily be made to use this plug-in,
instead of the built-in C++ one. It should be a matter of switching the
GUID for the Debug Engine used.

Part of the reason I wanted to make this debugger is that using cv2pdb,
although a great tool that helped fill a need, means:
1. Relying on the built-in C++ debugger, which means you get a C++
expression evaluator.
2. Using undocumented interfaces.
3. Using Microsoft binaries that might not be redistributable (I'm not
completely sure of this).