dmd 1.063 and 2.048 release

Jordi jordi at rovira.cat
Sun Aug 15 05:40:58 PDT 2010

On 08/15/2010 01:50 PM, dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from Jordi (jordi at rovira.cat)'s article
>> On 08/11/2010 04:15 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> This is probably the last FreeBSD 7 release for D1. The next will be for
>>> FreeBSD 8!
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
>>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.063.zip
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
>>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.048.zip
>> Hi,
>>     Congratulations for this release! This time it really made a
>> difference when i switched from 2.0.46. The framerate of my app used to
>> degenerate with time very quickly and now it remains fast and stable!
>>     Maybe some of the many fixes helped the garbage collector?
>>     Congratulations again.
>> j.
>
> Probably the GC.minimize() patch.  Previously the GC would **never** give memory
> back to the OS.  In addition to the obvious reason, this is bad because the GC is
> currently not well optimized and slows down a lot when the heap gets large, even
> if most of it doesn't contain pointers and isn't scanned.

Great. I always thought i was missing some important point about garbage
collection, and i was doing everything wrong. I am used to manage my own
memory in C++...

Anyway, i had to roll back to 2.0.46 as i have seen that from 2.0.47
some behaviour has changed in my program. I cannot really make a small
reproduction case, because it involves dragging objects around the 3d
scene: since 2.0.47 they follow weird curved paths instead of moving
correctly on the camera plane.

The code that calculate that (which is not new) just uses matrix and
vector operations to project and unproject positions, but i cannot
really find where do the numbers start to go wrong.

j.