dmd 1.063 and 2.048 release

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 15 13:10:13 PDT 2010

On 8/15/2010 12:54 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> This may be a pain to do, but you could narrow it down from the other
>> direction: recompile DMD from various trunk revisions between 2.046 and 2.047
>> and see which actual commit created the problem.
>
> Try mixing/matching the compiler & Phobos to see which one of those caused the
> issue.

While I agree that it's worth trying a bisection -- it's generally really quick
and easy to do (the compiler and libraries build rather fast -- about a minute
for me).  It can be a very useful technique for finding where bugs were introduced.

That said, it's likely to be rather difficult for this release due to the number
of fixes in the compiler that the library requires and for the periods during
which the two didn't work together.

Do try it.. worst case is you've wasted a little bit of time.  Best case you've
found the cause of the bug.

Later,
Brad