Interview with InformIT part 2/3

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Aug 18 09:59:27 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/d2j8n/d_programming_language_interview_with_andrei/

I will need time to digest this interesting second part of your interview, you say many complex things.

In the meantime that Reddit thread is one of the worst I've seen on that usually interesting site. Some C++ programmers seem to hate D a lot. Each new programming language is built on different values. Maybe D2 is not targeted to most of the experienced C++ programmers. Maybe D2 is more fit for other kinds of programmers, after all. I don't know.

Among all the comments written by axilmar, I agree that D tuples are not in good shape at all. There are two of them, one is limited (no way to return them) and auto-flattening, the other has no compiler support despite some syntax sugar helps a lot here.

Regarding this you have written in Reddit:
>Even moving classes should be fine with precautions, as moving garbage collectors have shown.<

Currently in the D2 GC there is no notion of pinned/unpinned class instances, but eventually an attribute as @pinned may be added to D3, plus its related semantics. It adds complexity to the language and it needs to interact with the GC, so it will get useful as the D GC becomes more modern (with different zones for newly allocated objects, etc).

Bye,
bearophile