Interview with InformIT part 2/3

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Aug 18 16:11:42 PDT 2010

Walter Bright:
> The other problem with a pinned/notpinned object is the object itself cannot
> control who or how someone is pointing to it.

The type system may tell apart three kinds of pointers/references:
1) hand-managed pointers, to GC memory or C heap memory;
2) GC-managed pointers to pinned memory;
3) GC-managed pointers to unpinned memory.

But this is a long story, I have already discussed this topic a bit, there are problems with pointers on the stack:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=108544

I am not yet able to design a thing so complex alone, so sorry for the noise :-) I need to learn more and improve, first.

Bye,
bearophile