DMDScript now on D2

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 08:14:41 PST 2010

Following that quite emotional discussion of JavaScript on
digitalmars.D I decided I'll take a risk to announce my work on porting
DMDScript, that is ECMA-262 script engine.

In the end it turned out to more like a quite successful fork given the
amount of changes. The goal was not only to just make it compile with D2
and work (that would be of limited value) but also slowly convert it to
newer D2 idioms/libraries/etc, I essence simplifying user side code  for
writing extensions. For instance, I even managed to use immutable
strings throughout, at the expense of a couple of casts at critical spots.

I'm considering current state of release as stable beta, since I had to
disable some of original performance tricks in order to debug some
issues properly. They eventually would be re-enabled of course.
Latest tar with source code + samples can be found here:
http://dsource.org/projects/dmdscript-2/browser/downloads

Things of possible interest:
-- Builds & fully works with latest dmd , tested on Windows and Linux
-- Greatly increased standard conformance
-- Still runs quite fast
-- Some huge bugs fixed, that were present in DMDScript 1.16 . (for
instance 'in' _expression_ not implemented)
-- Includes (highly experimental)  module for extending script engine
with native D functions/types in a couple of LOCs
-- Contains few basic examples to get started

P.S. I'm still reluctant to give it a version number, should it be
DMDScript2 0.1 ?

--
Dmitry Olshansky