DMDScript now on D2

Brian Hay bhay at construct3d.com
Thu Dec 16 18:27:45 PST 2010

On 17/12/2010 12:00 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Brian Hay"<bhay at construct3d.com>  wrote in message
> news:ieecsp$1ej5$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 17/12/2010 2:14 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>> I decided I'll take a risk to announce my work on porting DMDScript,
>>> that is ECMA-262 script engine.
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> As few seem to read the DMDScript newsgroup, here's my last post as it
>> seems relevant to this topic.
>>
>> ===================================
>>
>> There's a JavaScript arms race going on (as I'm sure many of you are
>> aware). The competing JS engines of the major browsers are leap-frogging
>> each other in performance every few months it seems.
>>
>> http://www.conceivablytech.com/4472/products/chrome-10-posts-huge-performance-jump/
>>
>> It would be so cool (and a huge showcase for the D Programming Language)
>> if DMDScript was in that performance race and beating the big guns.
>>
>> Possible?
>
> First step, of course, would be to run those benchmarks on DMDScript. Though
> everyone probably knows I'm a rather vocal anti-fan of JS, even I'd be very
> interested to see how DMDScript currently stacks up to the rest. I'd laugh
> my ass off if after all this time of not a whole lot of work on DMDScript
> besides the port to D2 (unless I'm mistaken), if it still managed to be on
> par with or beat all those others that have been pounding their chests and
> bashing each other over the head.

Like it or not, javascript is THE programming language of the
client-side web (rich web apps, Google maps, docs, Flash ActionScript,
X3D etc etc), so to be in that arms race would be a huge boon to the D
Programming Language IMHO.

Agreed, DMDScript is unlikely to be competitive with compiled JS engines
like V8 and spidermonkey now, but we won't know until it's benchmarked
and possibly some of the performance enhancements that went into those
engines can be adapted for dmdscript (although I don't know the first
thing about interpreter or compiler writing, so I'm just speculating).