DMDScript now on D2

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 00:11:30 PST 2010

On 17.12.2010 5:34, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Brian Hay wrote:
>> It would be so cool (and a huge showcase for the D Programming Language)
>> if DMDScript was in that performance race and beating the big guns.
> It kicked the living crap out of the competition up to not too long ago! It beat
> out Firefox 2 by well about 50x when I checked it, and IE7 by IIRC 20x.
>
> What's really impressive is dmdscript was several years old at
> that point - as in it only got a few minor bugfixes in those years,
> and the main design was even older. It took the big guys some
> five years or more to catch up to lone Walter.
>

> It was about 1/2 the speed of Firefox 3 when I checked it last. That
> gap has probably widened quite a bit in the last year. A quick check using the
> sieve.ds shows Firefox 3 is currently about 16x faster than dmdscript.
Yes, it's about 20x times slower on my machine..
It must be the properties of RandAA, namely relatively slow lookup time.
Profiler shows 90% time is spent in hashmap lookup function. I had to
replace built-in AA at certain point because of spurious segfaults that
fixed, but must have degraded speed.

--
Dmitry Olshansky