Tango 0.99.9 Kai released

Wed Feb 10 02:05:06 PST 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
> news:hktvfk$1i5t$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky:
>>> How do you ever get to 1.0 then?
>> Is that a serious question?
>> The answer: for example at release 0.275.1, that is when you want, when
>> you think the software is good enough to be called 1.0.
>>

> But the tango team is ready for the next release to be 1.0. Should they wait
> for 0.100 or 0.101 or something before going to 1.0?

I think what he means is this:  If you look at the Tango release
history, the version numbers are

   0.7
   0.8
   0.9
   0.95
   0.96
   0.97
   0.98
   0.99
   0.99.1
   0.99.9

and so on, asymptotically approaching 1.0, instead of the (arguably)
more common

   0.1
   0.2
   0.9
   0.10
   0.11
   0.99
   0.100
   0.101
   0.whatever
   1.0

The question was why they chose the scheme they did, and there really is
no need for any answer other than "because they felt like it".

Fun fact: TeX version numbers asymptotically approach pi, while METAFONT
version numbers approach e. :)

-Lars