Tango 0.99.9 Kai released

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:25:21 PST 2010

On 11/02/2010 01:12, Nathan Tuggy wrote:
> On 2010-02-10 14:18, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "div0"<div0 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
>> news:hkv6tn$17rs$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Or use junction instead.
>>>
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx
>>>
>>> Rather handy.
>>>

>> That's awesome. Thanks. I had no idea windows could do that, and I was
>> just
>> thinking even the other day that I wished that it could. Too bad it's
>> only
>> for directories, not files, but still, that should be pretty nice to
>> have.
>
> Files? You want it for files too? Have I got a command for you:
> fsutil hardlink create <new filename> <existing filename>
> (<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788097%28WS.10%29.aspx>)
>
> You'll need administrator privileges to run it (because most of its
> other functionality is very low-level, journaling and MFT-sizing and
> stuff like that), but it looks like it works on XP and up (2000 doesn't
> appear to support it, but I can't tell for sure). And, of course, it
> only works on NTFS partitions, but that should be a given.

Starting with Vista, MS exposed the ability to have symlinks and
hardlinks on windows, just run "help mklink" in a cmd.exe.

In reality NTFS supported this for a long time now (IIRC, since circa
2000) but the problem is that the windows shell/cmd.exe is always late
at providing access to new NTFS features - they're always late by at
least one version of windows so this is why you can't do that on XP even
though the NTFS version that comes with XP does support it.