Tango 0.99.9 Kai released

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Feb 12 01:10:24 PST 2010

"Yigal Chripun" <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:hl33en$2p6d$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 12/02/2010 03:36, Daniel Keep wrote:
>>

>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "Yigal Chripun"<yigal100 at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>>> news:hl204m$m8g$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Oh, so at least in theory, symlinks should still be possible on 2k/XP
>>> given
>>> a third-party tool to manage them and avoidance of using them on the
>>> command-line and in batch files?
>>
>> Given that SysInternals had a tool for doing hard links on 2000+, but no
>> tool for doing symlinks, I doubt it.
>>
>> I recall reading something about how symlinks were new to Vista
>> specifically; not simply a tool to make them, but something changed in
>> NTFS or the system's support for it.
>
> http://homepage1.nifty.com/emk/symlink.html
>
> I think this provides the ability to have symlinks on windows XP. I'm not
> 100% sure since it's in Japanese.

If you run it through google translater, and (attempt to) read through the
"Symbolic misconception that Windows NT/2000/XP is available in" section, it
sounds like he saying that pre-vista could only do hardlinks and junctions
but that some people (maybe the author?) had been inaccurately calling them
"symlinks" anyway, thus causing confusion. But of course, that's assuming
that the translation is accurate and that I'm actually interpreting the
translation correctly.