dmd 1.054 and 2.038 release

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Jan 2 03:12:06 PST 2010

Sönke Ludwig:
> BTW: I was not really watching the newsgroups lately and just noticed
> the DIP2/inout implementation. IMO 'inout' is really not a good choice
> for the keyword, introducing a backwards imcompatibility, changing the
> meaning of a de-facto standard keyword (IDL etc) and not really hitting
> the point (placeholder for const/immutable/nothing). Also if I did not
> know about the concept of DIP2 such code would have been a mystery for me.

It seems that Walter has yet to learn that names are important. Using nearly random words (and syntax) to express ideas and features, as currently done in D2, is bad. It's the silly "invariant" / "immutable" story again.

Python devs ask all people how to name things before, and then Guido V. R. picks the most popular name. They do this because a single person may have some bias: what is intuitive for a person (like Guido, or Walter, or Andrei) may be not intuitive for most other people. Choosing one of the most popular choices can't solve all problems, but it helps finding a name/syntax that will result intuitive for most future programmers.

Bye,
bearophile