D compiler as part of GCC

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 17:30:45 PST 2010

Walter Bright, el 23 de enero a las 16:15 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >Walter Bright, el 23 de enero a las 12:54 me escribiste:

> >>That's great news. I suppose I should look over the forms they talk about!
> >
> >Great news indeed! Since DMD FE is GPL I think it won't be any trouble to
> >fold in the new changes back to GDC as they did (and LDC too), so it won't
> >be really a *fork*, right?
>
> Well, still I won't be supporting gdc directly. It would mean a team
> that would be willing to take new DMD FE updates and fold them into
> GDC, and then follow whatever gcc's build and release conventions
> are.

Yes, what I meant is that the new DMD FE fork (owned by the FSF) will be
allowed to fold in changes in the original DMD FE (owned by DM). I hope
that can be done, to avoid duplicating a lot of effort fixing bugs in the
DMD FE (or even implementing new features).

> >Walter, please, please, please let us know how this progresses. Thanks!
>
> Who in the FSF is a contact person about this?

>From http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html

"""
Legal Prerequisites

Before we can incorporate significant contributions, certain legal
requirements must be met.

The FSF prefers that a contributor files a copyright assignment for large
contributions. See some documentation by the FSF for details and contact
us (either via the gcc at gcc.gnu.org list or the GCC maintainer that is
taking care of your contributions) to obtain the relevant forms. The most
common forms are an assignment for a specific change, an assignment for
all future changes, and an employer disclaimer, if an employer or school
owns work created by the developer. It's a good idea to send
assignments at gnu.org a copy of your request.

If a contributor is reluctant to sign a copyright assignment for a change,
a copyright disclaimer to put the change in the public domain is
acceptable as well. The copyright disclaimer form is different than an
employer disclaimer form. A copyright assignment is more convenient if
a contributor plans to make several separate contributions.

[...]
"""

More here: http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Legal-Matters

Thanks!