D web site facelift

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Jul 2 19:29:04 PDT 2010

On 2010-07-02 20:55:33 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> said:

> David Gileadi was kind enough to spend some time redesigning the look
> of the D web site. A preview of it is up on d-programming-language.org.
> This isn't about the content, just the look/style/feel.
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Please don't put links to anything other than the front page yet, as
> the organization may change.

It looks much better than the old one visually, but I have a few first
impression comments about some things that could be improved:

1. That Google Translation bar that appears at the top of every page
about one second after it has loaded is distracting from the content.
Yes I can click the X, or the "turn off" button, but having all the
content shift downwards a second after the page has loaded is annoying.
And the "turn off" button probably won't work after I reset my
cookies... hum, not even close: I see it doesn't work even if I keep my
cookies, not sure why. :-/

(Note: this bar probably appears only when the default language for
your browser/OS isn't English. Also, translation is overrated for a
programming language website, because when you translate a page, most
of the code becomes unreadable. It certainly can be useful, but I
wouldn't promote it too much because the result is really suboptimal.)

2. Why is the Digital Mars logo so big? I realize it's about the same
size as on the DM website, but because of the dark background it looks
as if it was the main title of the website, shadowing the "D
programming language 2.0" which looks like a subtitle. I think DM needs
to be made a little smaller and somehow leave more room for D, and the
"D programming language 2.0" below should be made more visible. This is
D's website, so D should be the one getting the most attention.

3. As other have said, the contrast is suboptimal for the navigation
menu on the left. As I learned myself when making websites, most
people's monitors aren't properly calibrated and what looks good one
one often looks bad on another. So you must account for this when
choosing the colors.

4. I'd like if some unnecessary margins on some elements were reduced
or removed. The site looks all squeezed if the window is not wide
enough. The effect is particularly bad for code samples which have way
too much margin (perhaps some margin/padding should be expressed in
percents). Here are three screenshots at the size I generally keep my
browser window:

http://michelf.com/img/shots/d-website-1.png
http://michelf.com/img/shots/d-website-2.png
http://michelf.com/img/shots/d-website-3.png

(Note: the last one is quite funny if you can read French, but perhaps
also if you can't.)

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com