D web site facelift

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sat Jul 3 10:57:42 PDT 2010

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:33:10 +0300, Jérôme M. Berger <jeberger at free.fr>
> wrote:
>
>>> Now, what's everyone complaining about font sizes? Except for the
>>> citation block, the font size looks pretty much the same to me on all
>>> screenshots (except on Firefox 2.x, where they're slightly smaller -
>>> you're not using that obsolete browser, are you?).
>>>
>>     The problem is that font sizes are a personal preference. The main
>> text of the page should be left at the default in order to pick the
>> size from the user settings.
>
> Uhm, maybe my experience in web applications hasn't taught me much, but
> AFAIK that's not how browsers work. Instead of having a "default" font
> value, browsers allow scaling all fonts (or, alternatively, all content
> including images and plugins) by a user-set coefficient. I suppose you
> could edit the default browser stylesheet to set a "default" font size,
> but that would cause inconsistent behavior at best (and will probably
> break the layout on some websites as well).

	Actually, browsers do both. For example in Firefox, you can go to
Edit->Preferences->Content on Linux (or Tools->Preferences->Contents
on Windows) and you have a pair of fields called "Default Font" and
"Default Font Size" which allow setting a default font. Browsers
have had this feature since I started using the web in 96. Since a
lot of web sites force their own fonts, browsers have added more
recently the ability to zoom on a page (and for some browsers, you
can even remember the zoom level on a page-by-page basis). But this
zoom function is mostly a hack to work around poorly designed web sites.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr