D web site facelift

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jul 3 12:24:04 PDT 2010

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:i0o227$gr0$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:i0nula$bk7$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> I didn't see any of the glitchiness or google-translate stuff that other
>>> people saw (on IE7, FF2, or Iron). Although, from the screenshot someone
>>> else posted of the translate-bar, I'm glad it's not showing up for me.
>>> (I really wish people would stop loading up their pages with Google's
>>> crap.)
>>
>> I like the translate widget! I've always been enamored with the idea of a
>> universal translator.
>
> There are browser plugins and websites that can handle translation of
> *any* page, not just pages that the page author has manually embedded it
> into. And they do it without gunking up the page with unnecessary JS bloat
> that not everyone's going to need.

I'll put it this way: the current trend of embedding features (like
translation, or forcing videos to be viewed in a *specific* player, or "add
to POS social-networking-site-of-the-month" links) put the web squarely in
the exact same position that desktop applications were in back in the old
DOS days when everything had to include it's own audio/video drivers and
copy-paste didn't work across apps. This is just a modern parallel to that.
Except the difference is, in this case, the infrastructure to do it the
right way (ie, orthogonally) is already there and people are just choosing
to do it the wrong way (ie, piecemeal).