D web site facelift

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 4 10:02:12 PDT 2010

On 07/03/2010 01:51 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:i0nula$bk7$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> I like the translate widget! I've always been enamored with the idea
>>> of a universal translator.
>>
>> There are browser plugins and websites that can handle translation of
>> *any* page, not just pages that the page author has manually embedded
>> it into. And they do it without gunking up the page with unnecessary
>> JS bloat that not everyone's going to need.
>
> I understand your point, I just like to have it right there, and not
> have to go get toolbars and plugins for every browser I use. Also,
> nobody ever complained about it before - why now is it suddenly an issue?

Actually, I *did* complain about it before...in the context of
downloaded documentation.  The timing sometimes makes doing searches
over multiple pages, when you don't remember exactly where something was
documented, painful.  Sufficiently so that I hand modify downloaded
documentation to remove it, and any other scripts that I notice causing
a slowdown.  (Translation is worst, but there are a couple of others
that are occasionally obtrusive.)

OTOH, if you're already downloading the page from the net that should be
much less of a problem...you're already slowed down.