D web site facelift

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jul 6 13:44:15 PDT 2010

"David Gileadi" <gileadis at NSPMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:i102r0$2sjr$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 7/6/10 1:02 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> What's up with the fonts in the code examples? Looks horrible now:
>> http://imgur.com/SNTlv.jpg
>>
>> It looked ok before..

Except for being really blurry, that screenshot looks fine to me.

> I tried an experiment: I reasoned that folks would probably only have
> custom programming fonts installed when they use them.  So I changed the
> code font to "Inconsolata, Proggy, Monofur, ProFont, Dina, MonteCarlo,
> Pragmata, Anonymous, Monaco, Consolas, 'Andale Mono', 'Deja Vu Sans Mono',
> 'Courier New', monospace", where most of these are fonts you're not likely
> to have installed and others are commonly-used in IDEs.
>
> If the code font bugs a lot of people I'll change it back to something
> more standard.

An interesting idea. However, I suspect a lot of people (like me) have a lot
of programmer fonts installed because they wanted to try them out, but
aren't quite happy with most of them. So there's a good chance that will
pick a bad font. In fact, for me, it looks terrible:

http://www.semitwist.com/download/dLangSiteCodeFont.png

Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think most programmer fonts support
non-ASCII (or at least non-latin1) chars like the default monospace fonts
are likely to (like Courier New), so if there's anything non-ASCII in the
code (which D is supposed to support) then I'm not sure if browsers are
smart enough to substitute a font that does have the missing character.