D web site facelift

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 12:36:17 PDT 2010

On 07/07/2010 11:51 AM, David Gileadi wrote:
> On 7/7/10 11:12 AM, torhu wrote:

>>> I tried an experiment: I reasoned that folks would probably only have
>>> custom programming fonts installed when they use them. So I changed the
>>> code font to "Inconsolata, Proggy, Monofur, ProFont, Dina, MonteCarlo,
>>> Pragmata, Anonymous, Monaco, Consolas, 'Andale Mono', 'Deja Vu Sans
>>> Mono', 'Courier New', monospace", where most of these are fonts you're
>>> not likely to have installed and others are commonly-used in IDEs.
>>>
>>> If the code font bugs a lot of people I'll change it back to something
>>> more standard.
>>
>> I'd prefer just letting the web browser use its default monospaced font.
>> Which for Firefox on Windows is Courier New 10 (size 13 in the Mozilla
>> system), and that's also what I use for coding. IE uses the same font
>> and size, I assume Chrome has a sensible default too. I don't know about
>> linux or mac.
>>
>> Using the default font is an easy way to let people choose what font and
>> size they prefer for best readability on their screen. I really wish web
>> sites wouldn't mess with the monospaced font, but most of them do. :(
>
> The default monospaced font on the Mac is Courier and is smaller than
> other fonts, so it looks a bit odd. Despite that I'm pretty well
> convinced by this argument. Any rebuttals before I make it so?
That sounds like a good default.  Is there a way to allow users to
select a custom monospace font for the pages of this site?  That could
be even better.  But it would need to only need to be set once.  (I'm
presuming that this CAN be done, as Distributed Proofreading uses
something analogous.  But the details are different enough that I'm not
sure.  (They require that you download their own custom font, install
it, and then change a configurable user setting.  I'm proposing that
there just be a configurable user setting, where the user could specify
any font of his choosing.)