Plot2Kill 0.02

Tue Jul 20 05:28:05 PDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:37:30 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

> == Quote from Lars T. Kyllingstad (public at kyllingen.NOSPAMnet)'s article
>> Even if you SSH into it, you can still run GUI apps remotely using X
>> forwarding.  But if you're saying that the machine doesn't have X
>> installed at all (do those still exist?), I have no suggestions. -Lars
>
> That, or you want to run the job as a batch job via nohup and have your
> plots appear in some directory the next day.

Ah, I see.  I guess the solution which would be most flexible in the long
run would be to make the GUI abstraction "abstract enough" that it isn't
limited to GUIs -- sort of like gnuplot does with its notion of
'terminals'.  Then backends could be created for writing to various file
formats.  But that's probably quite a lot of work.

I started using Plot2Kill "for real" at work today, BTW, and it works
very well.  Now, if someone made a CAS library for D, I would never again
have to reach for any tool other than vim and dmd... ;)

-Lars