Plot2Kill 0.02

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 06:32:42 PDT 2010

== Quote from Rory McGuire (rmcguire at neonova.co.za)'s article
> Cairo probably makes the most sense. Then you can do pdf, svg, jpg,
> opengl...
> -Rory

This will probably happen fairly soon.  Initially, when I was still just trying to
get off the ground and figure out how gtkD (and GUIs in general) worked, I was
reluctant to use Cairo because the API seemed more difficult than GTK's native
drawing API, and less similar to DFL's drawing API.  Now that things are off the
ground and have gone from "make it work" to "make it right", I've written a few
small test programs to get a feel for how Cairo works, and figured out how to make
it do everything I need it to.

I need to do some serious refactoring first, to separate the drawing logic from
the GUI logic, remove baked in assumptions that I'm drawing to a raster surface,
encapsulate a bunch of coordinate translation logic, and maybe backport some
design improvements to DFL (not hard).  After that I'll probably port the whole
GTK version to Cairo.  Question:  After I port the GTK version to Cairo, does
anyone still care about the native GDK API version (for compatibility or any other
completely unanticipated reason), or should I just completely abandon/discard it
and make Cairo the only GTK version?