Plot2Kill 0.02

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 10:27:51 PDT 2010

== Quote from Rory Mcguire (rjmcguire at gm_no_ail.com)'s article
> dsimcha wrote:
> > == Quote from Rory Mcguire (rjmcguire at gm_no_ail.com)'s article

>>http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?action=browse&id=GuiLibraries&oldid=AvailableGuiLibraries)

> >> If you use the pixmap backend of cairo then all one would have to do to
> >> support QT/KDE is add an interface to control the second tier of your
> >> lib.
> >> -Rory
> >
> > In theory yes, but do we really want to have this many dependencies?  One
> > thing I'm going to insist on in the management of this project is that
> > there be no dependencies except for the GUI toolkit being used, so people
> > don't find it impossible to install.
> Could the toolkits it uses not be specified on the command line so that it
> only uses the dependencies you choose it to?
> e.g.:
> dmd *.d -version=gtk
> or
> dmd *.d -version=cairo_cli

That's exactly the way it works now, except that for Cairo I'm using the gtkD
Cairo wrappers, rather than "raw" Cairo.  As far as selecting at runtime instead
of compile time, this is almost a definite "won't happen" because IMHO it's
massive overengineering for relatively little benefit, and would make the project
substantially more complicated in both its internals and its public API.