new layout on wiki4d

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 09:56:54 PDT 2010

Adam Ruppe wrote:
> On 6/5/10, Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> Others claim that some layouts just can't be made fluid.
>
> The most annoying thing is the web is fluid by default - you have to
> fight it to make it fixed width! But, meh, people are stupid.

Taken the words out of my mouth there.  I once came across this:

http://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/accessibility.asp
"Wiltshire Farm Foods has worked hard to make this site as accessible to
as many customers as possible, whether you have a disability or are
simply not using the latest technology."

I guess this shows how content writers and coders are often not on the
same wavelength.

I've a feeling I've come across a delusion that websites have to be
explicitly programmed to make browers' built-in text size settings work.
  But I'm not sure....

<snip>
> You know what annoys me? alt="image". Ugh. Or another bad one:
> alt="logo". gah, these people have obviously never browsed the web
> without images! Perhaps, worst of all, alt="left_rounded_corner". Ew!

Sometimes you even see images explicitly mislabelled as being purely
decorative (alt="").  You may have noticed from the page I linked to
before that this is one of the many things WebPlus likes to do of its
own accord.

<snip>
> Anyway, the css transforms that regular link into a button, with a
> gradient background, rounded corners, an icon, fluid width and height
> (height isn't ideal if it changes though, since the gradient is fixed
> height.
<snip>

One possibility is to make the background image tall enough to allow for
this.  Either do the gradient over the default height and pad it with
solid colour, or use a sigmoid gradient.  But it would be better if only
CSS provided a means to scale the background image....

Stewart.