SHOO's Time code -- conclusion

kretinis kret at in.is
Thu Jun 10 08:10:31 PDT 2010

== Quote from Steven Schveighoffer (schveiguy at yahoo.com)'s article
> I want to first qualify that I represent only myself, nobody from Phobos,
> nobody from Tango, not Walter nor Andrei nor Kris nor Lars nor SHOO nor
> anyone but me.
> Please see this message:
> http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/phobos/2010-June/000783.html
> Quoted here completely for convenience:
> Walter Bright wrote:
> "Although I do not believe that SHOO's work on the date/time is legally
> infringing on Tango's time code, I feel there's been enough bad feeling
> about this and that we should not include Tango's time api design in
> Phobos.
> I apologize to SHOO for this. I know this is unfair to him.
> Andrei has given a start to std.gregorian, perhaps SHOO's implementation
> work can be transferred to this to help complete it?"
> ------
> So I want to re-stress some points I have made in the past, and respond to
> some statements that have been made by others.
> First, let's recap what happened.  According to SHOO, he was a user of
> Tango's time library, and used the online documentation of Tango, and the
> existing implementation of Phobos to write a new Phobos-ified time library
> that was similar to Tango's api.  Having been one of the main authors of
> Tango's time package, I examined SHOO's implementation side-by-side with
> Tango's, I can say that I believe him.  IMO, it's not the same code or
> even derived, it just has a similar feel.
> Someone from Tango was alerted to this, and considered it to be infringing
> to the point where he/she called Walter and told him so.  Walter, as
> someone who wants nothing to do with controversy and possible legal
> issues, refused to accept the code based on this accusation.  Note: I was
> not a part of this call, so I do not know what was said exactly in it,
> these are my interpretations of the posts on the newsgroup.
> Lars of Tango wrote a message to the Phobos mailing list indicating that
> in his opinion, "claiming a clean room implementation of an API in D is
> difficult, if for no other reason that it is (due to imperfect doc
> generation etc) somewhat difficult to properly study a D API without at
> the same time reading the source (or glimpsing at it). Even if you have
> good intentions, as I'm sure Shoo had, it is important to know this, there
> may be less forgiving actors out there."  You can read the entire message
> here: http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/phobos/2010-April/000370.html
> Coupled with the phone call asking Walter to block the code, at this
> point, we could just say that Tango was being careful.  But under the
> circumstances, it appears to me that Tango is under the impression that
> simply admitting one has used Tango, combined with having made a library
> inspired by Tango's API, is enough to warrant an accusation of
> infringement.  I don't even know if anyone from Tango examined the code or
> not.
> [...]

I accept Shoos implementation only with the conditions

1) No multiplication, division and remainder operations are allowed. Tango used
these operations for date calculation in an original way. All similar uses are
forbidden.

2) Also it is not allowed to implement routines for operations at (1). That would
be obviously a thinly veiled attempt at stealing Tango code.

3) No use of the words date, time, and calendar are allowed in the code or the
documentation. These words were used creatively by Tango. They cannot be stolen.

I am sure these requirements are reasonable