SHOO's Time code -- conclusion

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 18:04:29 PDT 2010

kretinis wrote:

> I accept Shoos implementation only with the conditions
>
> 1) No multiplication, division and remainder operations are allowed. Tango
> used these operations for date calculation in an original way. All similar
> uses are forbidden.
>
> 2) Also it is not allowed to implement routines for operations at (1).
> That would be obviously a thinly veiled attempt at stealing Tango code.
>
> 3) No use of the words date, time, and calendar are allowed in the code or
> the documentation. These words were used creatively by Tango. They cannot
> be stolen.
>
> I am sure these requirements are reasonable

LOL. I've never used Tango, so I don't know how its time/date code does
things, let alone if there's anything original about it. But requiring date
or time code to not use the words date, time, or calendar? That's like
saying that code which uses an int can't use the word integer or number.
It's just plain silly. I sincerely hope that you're not being serious.

Honestly, I don't see any problem with copying APIs as long as they're
solid, and you don't look at the actual code. However, it does seem that in
this case, at least, it's best to just do something different with phobos
and avoid conflict on the matter. There are plenty of different useful ways
which date and time code can be done, and basing it on a pre-existing, major
library such as boost (which is what Andrei is doing IIRC) seems to me to be
a reasonable solution.

- Jonathan M Davis