D rpm packages for Linux

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:26:09 PDT 2010

> On 06/24/2010 03:44 PM, Ellery Newcomer wrote:
>> On 06/24/2010 12:09 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> D rpm packages now available http://www.digitalmars.com/d/download.html
>>> thanks to Jordi Sayol.
>>
>> Also, what about hosting a yum repository?
>
> Is that the thing that allows me to insert a line in the Synaptic
> repositories and then benefit of integration goodies? I'd love something
> like that.
>
> Andrei

Ummm.. maybe?

Yum is a package manager built on top of rpm, essentially red hat's
counterpart to apt-get. I think the idea is each version of dmd as an
rpm lives in the yum repository, and as new versions are released, the
yum will semi-automatically upgrade the user's install.

The nice thing about it is the user doesn't have to go around looking
for the download each time the next release of dmd comes out, although
they do have to initially configure their system. Typically, the
repository host provides a downloadable rpm which performs that action.

I don't know that it would be particularly useful for synaptic based
linuxen (Andrei, see what you've got me doing?) though. Guess we'd have
to make a synaptic repo too.