D rpm packages for Linux

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Fri Jun 25 07:11:10 PDT 2010

On 06/25/2010 03:46 AM, Jordi Sayol i Salomó wrote:

> Many thanks for Your answer.
>
> This rpm package is build for a i386 platform, and it's only installable
> on a i386 system (without force it to), so the dependencies are for i386
> installation. Of course It can be forced to install in another platform
> as x86_64, alpha, arm, hppa, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc, etc.
> but I cannot assure that the compiler will work on all of them.

Well, yeah, but from personal experience I can attest that dmd works
fine on x86_64 (as does, like, every other 32 bit package), and dmd
works fine with 64 bit gcc. at least on my install (fedora 13 - what do
you use?).

You talk
> about the glibc-devel package, but this is not the only one needed by
> the compiler, dmd also needs gcc (32 bits) and in Your rpm (as in mine)
> do not specifies anything about arch, also there is a missing library on
> Your rpm, libgcc_s.so.1 is needed too by dmd.

Really? The gcc dependency doesn't automatically bring in libgcc? Is
that what the GCCVER2 business is about?

> One solution for this problem is to explain the trick needed to install
> the ix86 dmd rpm package on a x86_64 system, as Walter has done with the
> same situation for the dmd deb package,
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dmd-linux.html#installation

The trick for doing this on fedora 86_64 is just

yum install gcc glibc-devel.i686

and then putting dmd wherever. Works fine.

> Another one is to create a x86_64 rpm package of dmd 32 bits compiler. I
> don't like this solution because when dmd 64 bits appears in the near
> future, this will be a source of confusion.

yeah, don't do that.

> And My preferred solution, create a i386 chroot machine inside Your
> x86_64 system, install dmd package on it and compile Yours D programs on
> it too.

I've never found a need to do this (and I also don't know how).