D rpm packages for Linux

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 14:02:47 PDT 2010

On Friday, June 25, 2010 13:49:41 Jordi Sayol i Salomó wrote:

> > This is actually the proper way to create these packages. There won't be
> > any confusion; when the 64bit version becomes usable the package will
> > then contain a native 64bit compiler and won't have the dependencies on
> > 32bit packages. If you really think it is a problem name the package
> > dmd-ia32 or whatever and then the native 64bit compiler will replace
> > that package.
>
> Do You really thinks that is necessary to create a 32 bits dmd rpm/deb
> packages to install them on 64 bits OS? With a few easy steps You can do
> the same with the 32 bits OS packages.

Personally, I think that it's _way_ nicer to have the 32-bit dmd installed in a
64-bit environment along with the few 32-bit libraries that it needs than it is
to have to deal with a chroot environment. There are advantages to both, and
obviously you prefer to use chroot, but personally, I hate it. I don't like
dealing with a separate environment where I have to worry about installing
everything I need a second time (and not just the few 32-bit libraries that dmd
needs) to develop as well as constantly having to worry about whether the
console that I'm currently typing at is in the chroot or not. It's far too easy
to run a command that has to be run in chroot outside of it or to run a command
that can't be run inside of it inside of it.

It works perfectly fine to install 32-bit dmd in a 64-bit rpm-based OS. I've done
it with OpenSuSE. The only issue is making sure that you have the necessary 32-
bit libraries installed (which isn't very many), and an RPM would take care of
all of that for you.

If I have the choice between running 32-bit dmd in 64-bit linux or running 32-
bit dmd in a 32-bit chroot inside of 64-bit linux, I'll definitely choose to run
it outside of the chroot.

- Jonathan M Davis