D rpm packages for Linux

Jordi Sayol i Salomó g.sayol at yahoo.es
Fri Jun 25 15:23:20 PDT 2010

En/na Jonathan M Davis ha escrit:
> On Friday, June 25, 2010 13:49:41 Jordi Sayol i Salomó wrote:
>
>>> This is actually the proper way to create these packages. There won't be
>>> any confusion; when the 64bit version becomes usable the package will
>>> then contain a native 64bit compiler and won't have the dependencies on
>>> 32bit packages. If you really think it is a problem name the package
>>> dmd-ia32 or whatever and then the native 64bit compiler will replace
>>> that package.
>> Do You really thinks that is necessary to create a 32 bits dmd rpm/deb
>> packages to install them on 64 bits OS? With a few easy steps You can do
>> the same with the 32 bits OS packages.
>
> Personally, I think that it's _way_ nicer to have the 32-bit dmd installed in a
> 64-bit environment along with the few 32-bit libraries that it needs than it is
> to have to deal with a chroot environment. There are advantages to both, and
> obviously you prefer to use chroot, but personally, I hate it. I don't like
> dealing with a separate environment where I have to worry about installing
> everything I need a second time (and not just the few 32-bit libraries that dmd
> needs) to develop as well as constantly having to worry about whether the
> console that I'm currently typing at is in the chroot or not. It's far too easy
> to run a command that has to be run in chroot outside of it or to run a command
> that can't be run inside of it inside of it.
>
> It works perfectly fine to install 32-bit dmd in a 64-bit rpm-based OS. I've done
> it with OpenSuSE. The only issue is making sure that you have the necessary 32-
> bit libraries installed (which isn't very many), and an RPM would take care of
> all of that for you.
>
> If I have the choice between running 32-bit dmd in 64-bit linux or running 32-
> bit dmd in a 32-bit chroot inside of 64-bit linux, I'll definitely choose to run
> it outside of the chroot.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Basically I'm agree with You, but if You need to build a package or compile and run a program for test, with the absolute security that what's happening on Your machine is exactly the same that will happen on other systems with a different OS/version than Your host system, then chroot is helpful.

But for now I'll not build a 32bit dmd rpm/deb package exclusive for 64 bit OS

--
Jordi Sayol