D rpm packages for Linux

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 08:14:52 PDT 2010

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 15:37:40 +0200, Jordi Sayol i Salomó wrote:

>> I'll ask you this, for RPM if it is stated to be a 32 bit package, can
>> you installed it without "forcing" the install on a 64 bit system?
>
> No, You have to force on 64 bits system, but You can assure dependencies
> in both, 32 and 64 bits systems. The binary rpm packages can only have
> one destination architecture, like deb.

Then I think a package should be built for each architecture. For a
Debian repository a separate database is provided for each architecture
so a package must be built for every architecture you wish to have the
package. I guess RPM is not the same in this, so it is of less importance.

I also think it is polite to give everyone a package that will just
install.

>> Now what you would probably have is a libgtkd package and a libgtkd-dev
>> package. libghtkd doesn't care about dmd.conf, but libgtkd-dev would
>> and it wouldn't be unreasonable to depend on d-compiler.
>
> Then, I have to divide dmd into "libdmd", "libdmd-dev" and "dmd" too,
> isn't it?

Well, actually the proper way would be to separate it into, libphobos,
libphobos-dev, dmd. And libtango is in Debian because of LDC.

>> You use those for modifying the package config file based on the
>> environment being installed to. Configuration files are supposed to
>> only have one owner. And I agree it is the cleanest way to deal with
>> these issues and doesn't rely on shell scripts to get it right.
>
> Interesting. Can You explain a bit more how the "dmdconf-manager"
> package has to do the job?

I think you would probably have it take simple arguments; in English, "I
am GTKD and will need these options added to dmd.conf." and then removal
would just be, "I'm GTKD goodbye."

Since dmd.conf should already have /usr/lib, /usr/include and stuff in it
and GTKD should be installing to those directories anyway, I don't know
if there is much need to manage such an installation.