dmd 1.057 and 2.041 release

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Mar 8 11:43:22 PST 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> Sorry, this stays.

Then I'm not going to use the Phobos printing in all my future D2 programs. As I was not using it in D1. I'm not going to change idea on this.

>(e.g. the comma may be a decimal point in some languages, so is [1,2] in a German locale an array of double with one value or two?<

In German you need no space after the comma, and there's no [] after and before it.
So [1, 2] is not a floating point value in German.

>Why one space?<

Because that's they way people print things in natural languages. It's a convention, you know. And it's a good one. It tells apart the FP numbers and it's the minimal.

>It's the most neutral thing I could think of. Why no brackets? Because of minimalism. You can very easy add them if you want them.<

The purpose of things like the square brackets is to give a less ambiguous textual representation of the most common data structures (array and strings are the most common after numbers). So you put "" or '' around strings and [] to know what you are printing.