dmd 1.057 and 2.041 release

Bernard Helyer b.helyer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 03:53:45 PST 2010

On 09/03/10 09:12, Walter Bright wrote:

> obj2asm tells the tale. (obj2asm is an incredibly useful tool, I don't
> know why nobody uses it.)

Maybe a minor quibble, but obj2asm is really slow. If I'm going to
disassemble something, I am never going to reach for obj2asm:

`ds` is a dmdscript testscript.d executable:

[~]$ time objdump -d ~/bin/ds >ds.s

real	0m1.139s
user	0m0.912s
sys	0m0.052s
[~]$ time obj2asm ./bin/ds >ds.s  # If you pass an absolute path (starts
with '/'), obj2asm tries to interpret it as an argument. >_<

real	0m55.809s
user	0m11.009s
sys	0m31.094s

And out of curiosity, why do you charge for it on Windows, but provide
it on Linux for free? Because the rest of the utilities are fairly
windows-centric?