April 13th: Presenting D at the Beijing Linux User Group

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Mar 9 18:15:10 PST 2010

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> Good tip, thanks.

welcs

> I'm wondering: should I do the 'scrolling HTML', in true D style? The
> lazy part of me says yes :))

I've abandoned it in favor of pdf:

1. HTML rendering sucks compared with pdf rendering. I don't know why,
but when it gets blown up on a big screen, the HTML looks lousy. (The
fonts.)

2. HTML tends to not scale well to different screen resolutions. So, if
you're using a projector or something with a different screen res than
you developed the presentation on, it can look cropped or otherwise
goofy. PDF seems to scale well automatically.

3. It's hard to do any sort of simple graphics in HTML. It's easy with a
powerpoint program.

4. I've had problems with margins on HTML, i.e. some projectors would do
things like just cut off the left side. No problems with PDF.

5. The scrolling HTML comes off as quirky to a lot of people, and that
reflects poorly on the presenter and what they're presenting.

6. I've been using Impress (part of Openoffice) and while it can be a
wacky thing to use now and then, the result can be exported to a pdf
which is pretty bulletproof and looks great when projected.

7. PDF packs everything you need into one convenient file. HTML is a
directory full of files.

8. Your presentation computer may have a different browser than the one
you developed the presentation on, and so may render unexpectedly
differently, or even fail completely.

Always always always carry an extra copy of your PDF's on a USB stick
and an SD card, and carry them separately from your laptop. Laptops
break and get stolen. With your presentation on a USB stick, you're good
to go with just about any computer available.

I've also found it worthwhile to bring along a laser pointer. It's
easier than running around at the last minute trying to scrounge one
from the event organizers. Same goes for a wireless remote that plugs
into your laptop to page up and down. The remote and the laser are often
in one convenient device.

Bring fresh batteries for the remote!