April 13th: Presenting D at the Beijing Linux User Group

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Mar 10 05:08:04 PST 2010

On 03/10/2010 01:55 AM, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> Walter's advice is good. Plus: make sure through rehearsing that your
>> material fits within the allotted time.
>
> Well, I noticed that most other presentations I've attended did indeed
> go over time and not by a small amount either. So, apparently it's very
> hard to stay within a certain time? Or, once you're standing there and
> 'get in the zone' you forget about the time?

I don't think it's very difficult, just that most presenters don't pay
attention to important details. And I believe time is an important
detail. Going past allotted time in most circumstances is very
unprofessional, reveals no concern and respect for the time of the
audience (and sometimes for the general schedule and the following
presenters), and gives the impression that the presenter is not in
control of the material.

Always finish on time. *Everybody* will notice and appreciate that.

> I don't have a watch, but it seems that I might need one then.

Wouldn't hurt. You can always borrow one from an attendee.

Andrei