Do not use 2.041

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 13:31:20 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:14:36 -0500, grauzone <none at example.net> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> If a good debugger existed for dmd, you could determine the location,
>> but I don't know of any good ones.  gdb doesn't do a very good job with
>> D.
>
> dmd has produced debugging information that makes gdb choke up for ages.
> This makes gdb (and some other utilities that try to read debugging
> infos) useless for D.
>
> Is this gdb's or dmd's fault?

Partly both.  gdb was not designed to work with D files, it was designed
to work with C/C++ files.  Dmd has a -gc switch that is supposed to make
the debug info "look" like C, but it doesn't always work.  For example,
when debugging this problem, I had to resort to printf debugging, because
I couldn't get a full backtrace from gdb.

I haven't tried integration with descent or other IDEs for a while, when I
did use it, ddbg worked good (but always skipped over runtime functions,
which is annoying when you are developing the runtime).  I hope that this
problem eventually is solved.

-Steve