Do not use 2.041

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Thu Mar 11 23:58:14 PST 2010

On 11-mar-10, at 22:09, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:05:51 -0500, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Steven Schveighoffer:
>>> Also if we get exception stack trace support, then you can
>>> immediately see
>>> everything.  It's probably better to focus on that.
>>
>> OK.
>> Do you want me to remove those two bug reports then?
>
> I think they should at least be marked as enhancements.  Without a
> stacktrace printout, there is a need for such things.  But I think
> exception tracing is coming, I think Tango already has it.
>
> -Steve

Yes tango has it, there are a couple of things that are a bit clumsy,
due to backward compatibility to previous implementations, but I think
that the basic approach is sound:

- separate function to trace addresses from the ones to resolve them

- separate functions to find symbolic information, and those that
demangle it) from those that print it out

- try to avoid allocation (often the program is in a delicate spot
when a stacktrace is requested, one should try to avoid making the
position worse, and allocation in any case should be avoided when
possible).

  I am willing to give the code I wrote in whatever license is needed,
but I have used parts of code by h3r3tic, wm4 (winterwar), and Thomas
Kühne, so if you want to use that code you should check also with them.

Fawzi