DMDScript now under Boost license

Philippe Sigaud philippe.sigaud at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 12:30:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:21, Adam D. Ruppe <destructionator at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 09:03:10PM +0200, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
> > Cool, I wasn't sure it'd work. Now we know what this new trait is for :)
>
> It is slightly different than my old code: the getPlainName helper function
> is not required with the __trait. (It truncated the string at the first
> paren, since stringof returns the arguments too, whereas identifier does
> not).

I get it.

> I think it would be a good idea to get a nice overview doc written up on
> template idioms - things like this, how to use the isSomeString, etc,
> templates in std.traits to work the constraints, and so on.

Or the way to sneak arrays as template parameters...

Oh yes. I'd be willing to participate, but I'm also waiting to see what
Andrei says in his book.

I recently made a template to bind template parameters, and another to
determine the 'arity' of a template (no param, 1, etc.). The latter was
after discovering that if an alias parameter is a template, the .stringof
gives the entire signature : parameters, constraints, etc.
I'm discovering something new every week and I have the impression my
knowledge of templates is ... kaleidoscopic : lots of colorful parts, no
global vision.

> Another one in pretty.d I hit was taking a ParameterTypeTuple and using it
> to expand the runtime args array. At first, I used a list of static if
> T.length == 1, and manually written it out. Today, I changed it to a CTFE
> function returning a string to mix on, which sucks less, but still feels
> weird.

I still feel wrong when I'm using CTFE. That's too bad, because with the
recent leaps in the CTFE perimeter Don made, CTFE has become a very powerful
tool indeed.

Having a nice overview document would be good to save time and make this
> kind of code prettier. Maybe I'll write one to get started then post it to
> the group for additions and improvements. Don't have the time today though.

A document, or a wiki page. But to start things and get a little attention,
a discussion here is better.

  Philippe