dmd 1.060 and 2.045 release

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Tue May 4 11:13:49 PDT 2010

On 04/05/10 19:03, Walter Bright wrote:
> Basically, I don't think the switches need to change, just:
>
> -g: debugger can handle D data types and extensions
>
> -gc: make it work with whatever the debugger can handle, i.e. for
> debuggers that don't know about D

You'd be ok with, for example:
   -g             add symbolic debug info
   -gc            add symbolic debug info, pretend to be C++

Instead of C then? Or some other language that debuggers support? I say
this as C++ supports more of D's features, so we'd be able to give
better debugging info for debuggers without explicit D support.

There was another point in that post, about the D extensions to DWARF...
I think it is unlikely that patches to support D's extensions to DWARF
would be accepted into gdb, particularly as the values for the DW_TAG's
conflicts with things in the DWARF4 spec. I think there should be a way
to act like D but without these extensions. Ideally the solution to this
is to try and get the extensions officially into the DWARF spec, which
I'd be willing to push for if possible.