dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 15 02:00:48 PDT 2010

Don wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> I saw the patches, and having all hardcoded in the compiler doesn't
>>> seems
>>> like a good idea =/
>>
>> I know the hardcoding is probably not the best, but I wanted to try it
>> out to see if it was a good feature before committing a lot of work to
>> it.
>>
>> The alternative is to use some sort of configuration file for it. The
>> problem, though, is that the hints are for newbies, and newbies
>> probably aren't going to get a configuration file properly set up,
>> especially if there are multiple such files.
>
> I think the only purpose of such a feature is to increase the chance
> that a newbie's "hello world" compiles successfully. The importance of
> that can't be underestimated, I think. First impressions matter.

Yes, or at least have a to-the-point error message rather than just an undefined
identifier.

It's amazing how much information we take for granted. For example, I've been
trying to use Apple's xcode system. I find it hard to do the most trivial
things, like trying to figure out how to just start the thing.

Apple's web site isn't much better, it's got to be the most hard to read site
I've ever encountered. The text is a faint grey on white, of all things, and the
font is so poorly rendered my eyes turn red and painful after a while reading
it. I have to actually select the text in order to read it. I find this
astonishing, am I doing something wrong?

It won't render at all in Explorer.

The D web site is rather pedestrian, but at least it's easy on the eyes.