dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Sat May 15 08:29:23 PDT 2010

Don, el 15 de mayo a las 09:47 me escribiste:
> Walter Bright wrote:
> >Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >>I saw the patches, and having all hardcoded in the compiler doesn't seems
> >>like a good idea =/
> >
> >I know the hardcoding is probably not the best, but I wanted to
> >try it out to see if it was a good feature before committing a lot
> >of work to it.
> >
> >The alternative is to use some sort of configuration file for it.
> >The problem, though, is that the hints are for newbies, and
> >newbies probably aren't going to get a configuration file properly
> >set up, especially if there are multiple such files.
>
> I think the only purpose of such a feature is to increase the chance
> that a newbie's "hello world" compiles successfully. The importance
> of that can't be underestimated, I think. First impressions matter.

Looks OK from that POV, my fear was that we had all phobos harcoded in the
compiler to give hints.

I think the feature could be nice if it needs no configuration at all (it
searches the import path and looks for modules where a missing symbol is).
I guess that would be too slow to be practical though, but maybe the
compiler can generate a small index file (a reduced json with just
symbol->module) and that can be pre-generated for phobos and distributed
with the compiler. The good part of this is you can easily extend it for
your libraries.