dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sat May 15 11:11:56 PDT 2010

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> > On 5/15/10 11:00, Walter Bright wrote:
> >> Apple's web site isn't much better, it's got to be the most hard to read
> >> site I've ever encountered. The text is a faint grey on white, of all
> >> things, and the font is so poorly rendered my eyes turn red and painful
> >> after a while reading it. I have to actually select the text in order to
> >> read it. I find this astonishing, am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > Looking at Apple's developer site and the API reference, for me the body
> > of the text is black using firefox, some minor parts are in gray.
>
> I'm using firefox. Even on their main developer.apple.com/iphone/index.action,
> most of the text is light grey on white.
>
> Now click on "getting started documents", which brings you to a page that will
> not render in Explorer or Firefox, only Safari.
>
> In the docs themselves, a very light blue font is used for links that is
> illegible. The code examples in the docs are even lighter grey on white. Couple
> this with the unusually small font used, and it's literally painful to read.
>
> For a company that prides itself on excellent readability, I am astonished, and
> I can't believe I'm the only one with problems reading their pages.

The link works for me (The getting started page) with Firefox. I agree about the colors, they're not the best combination, e.g. this piece of code gray on light-blue:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/samplecode/AdvancedURLConnections/Listings/ChallengeHandlers_AuthenticationChallengeHandler_m.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009558-ChallengeHandlers_AuthenticationChallengeHandler_m-DontLinkElementID_11

There's an option in Firefox to force the rendering of text using system defined colors. Try Tools>Options>Content tab>Colors button> and check "Use system colors" and uncheck "Allow pages to user their own colors".

But this only works globally afaik. There's a Download button on top of those examples for a zipped collection of the samples, which is kind of neat actually.

Maybe there's a plugin for Firefox that can force some colors on individual websites, I'll have a look later.