dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 12:26:54 PDT 2010

On 05/15/2010 02:00 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> I know the hardcoding is probably not the best, but I wanted to try
>>> it out to see if it was a good feature before committing a lot of
>>> work to it.
>>>
>>> The alternative is to use some sort of configuration file for it. The
>>> problem, though, is that the hints are for newbies, and newbies
>>> probably aren't going to get a configuration file properly set up,
>>> especially if there are multiple such files.
>>
>> I think the only purpose of such a feature is to increase the chance
>> that a newbie's "hello world" compiles successfully. The importance of
>> that can't be underestimated, I think. First impressions matter.
>
> Yes, or at least have a to-the-point error message rather than just an
> undefined identifier.
>
> It's amazing how much information we take for granted. For example, I've
> been trying to use Apple's xcode system. I find it hard to do the most
> trivial things, like trying to figure out how to just start the thing.
>
> Apple's web site isn't much better, it's got to be the most hard to read
> site I've ever encountered. The text is a faint grey on white, of all
> things, and the font is so poorly rendered my eyes turn red and painful
> after a while reading it. I have to actually select the text in order to
> read it. I find this astonishing, am I doing something wrong?
>
> It won't render at all in Explorer.
>
> The D web site is rather pedestrian, but at least it's easy on the eyes.

*Pedestrian*??

The D web pages are a marvel of clarity and utility.  Compare them to
the Python web pages, which I rate a second best.  Things are documented
with relative clarity, one can generally find what one needs with a bit
of searching, even if one doesn't know what it's named.  Etc.

The D web site has only two minor (*minor*!) problems
One is the search engine which doesn't work on local copies.
The other is that one needs to disable google translation on local
copies, or everything loads too slowly.
(The first of those is probably impossible to deal with, but the second
looks trivial.)

If by pedestrian you mean clean, clear, and easy to use, then give me
more pedestrian.

My sole problem with D is one that's probably impossible to address:
the lack of libraries.  When I need libraries, I usually end up using
some other language.  But it sure isn't the web page.

(DSource is marvelous, but most of the libraries listed appear to be
either moribund or morbid.)