dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 13:02:21 PDT 2010

On 05/15/2010 06:13 PM, BCS wrote:
> Hello Adam,
>
>> On 5/15/10, Bernard Helyer <b.helyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Set executable bit, modify PATH
>>>
>> Meh, you don't have to do that. On my box, I have a wrapper script in
>> /usr/bin
>> so the dmd command works from anywhere, but you can just as well run
>> it right out of wherever you download it too. ./dmd works just as well
>> as dmd.
>>> I've a little script that copies the executables into /usr/bin, the
>>> manpages into manpage land, the docs into /usr/share/docs/dmd,
>>> imports into /usr/include/d and the libraries into /usr/lib, and so
>>> on.
>>>
>> Ew, why? I guess if you have a script it is ok for you, but there's
>> really no need to take it out of the folders where they are at the
>> unzip.
>>

> The same holds for every file in /usr/bin, I wonder what that says about
> all the other people who put stuff there. Similar thought hold for the
> other bits and places.

/usr/bin is for system installed executables.  It's bad practice to put
other things there.  I could see installing them to /usr/local/bin ,
/usr/opt/bin or /home/$USER/bin, but otherwise just leaving them where
they're unzipped is quite reasonable.  (Each of the approaches has their
own particular reason why they're a good idea.  E.g. /usr/local/bin is
easy to share with other users on the system.  I'm not sure why
/usr/opt/bin, but some have, historically, preferred it.
/home/$USER/bin allows sharing libraries within a single user.  And just
leaving it where you unzipped it facilitates having multiple versions of
the same program available.)

P.S.:  Does D actually allow you to just run from the unzipped folder?
Earlier versions required a global library installation.  It's been
awhile since I've done the tarball installation, so I don't recall.  But
it used to be impossible to have both D1 and D2 installed, much less
D2.040 and D2.046.