dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release

linux user nospam at for.me
Sun May 16 20:16:00 PDT 2010

Adam Ruppe Wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 07:21:00PM -0300, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> > That's a problem with D distribution, not with the compiler. It would be
> > better to fix the original problem =)
>
> It amazes me that people have trouble installing D. Download, unzip, done.
> It couldn't be simpler.

I have a script that does this:

unzip dmd.1.0xx.zip
chmod +x dmd/linux/bin/{dmd,dumpobj,obj2asm,rdmd,shell}
zip -r dmd.1.0xx.zip dmd

The standard distribution is rather amateurish. Zip supports the executable flag but for some reason the compiler has negative attitude towards Linux users. Maybe it's supposed to boost the sales of the Windows port?

Charles Hixson wrote:

> The D web pages are a marvel of clarity and utility.  Compare them to
> the Python web pages, which I rate a second best.  Things are documented
> with relative clarity, one can generally find what one needs with a bit
> of searching, even if one doesn't know what it's named.

The site looks like it was created using some generic boring documentation tool with a basic minimalistic style template. It might attract some developers who think that javadoc or doxygen looks a bit too artistic for their taste and their largest goal in life is to win the international dryness competition. The content of the documentation is a bit too grammar oriented. Hopefully the coming book will solve this issue.