dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun May 16 21:37:15 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hspj3m$1c9b$1 at digitalmars.com...

> People often say it doesn't look professional. I agree it could probably
> use better colors, etc. But for this kind of web site, I think it's just
> wrong to use flash, javascript, or anything that takes a long time to
> load. I don't like pages that have a tiny bit of content surrounded by
> acres of flashy, blinky, hovering advertisements. I don't like websites
> that sacrifice readability in favor of a "look". I don't like web pages
> that refuse to reflow if the window size is changed. The site should print
> properly, and be mechanically convertible to a reasonably decent looking
> pdf.
>
> The site needs to be friendly to search engines, and usable by screen
> readers. Yes, there are blind programmers, and at least one blind D
> programmer. It's obnoxious to make a site they cannot use.
>
> I'm also old, and just don't like sites that use small fonts, cute fonts,
> blurry fonts, fonts with poor contrast, etc. They're hard, even painful,
> to read. When I was a kid writing letters to my aged relatives, my mom
> told me that they'd struggle to read typical handwriting, and that it's
> nice to use a typewriter instead. I always remembered that advice, and
> when I started using word processors for letters, the ones I'd send to
> them I'd always enlarge the font quite a bit. Web sites should avoid
> setting specific font sizes, so low vision users can enlarge it.

I agree a lot with most of this, but any web browser that doesn't scale
so-called fixed-size fonts when zooming has a broken, archaic zoom function,
period.

> I recently completed a revamp of the digitalmars site that got rid of the
> table based layout in favor of using floating CSS layout. The result looks
> a bit nicer, and the printing should be much better.

Speaking as a web developer, I've found that floating CSS is irritatingly
gimped compared to tables when trying to adjust how things flow upon
resizing. (Speaker as a web user, I've never cared one bit whether a site
used floating CSS vs tables.)