dcollections 1.0 and 2.0a beta released

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed May 19 17:57:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu

> My vision, in very brief, is to foster a federation of independent
> containers abiding to identical names for similar functionality. Then a few
> concept checks (a la std.range checks) can easily express what capabilities
> a given client function needs from a container.
>
> Destroy me :o).

So instead of STL's concept hierarchy, you have essentially concept
tags.  Very Web 2.0. :-)

I agree that there doesn't seem to be any coding benefit to STL's
concepts being hierarchical.  If you need a push_back(), you've got to
check for push_back(). The main benefit seems to be for  documentation
purposes, allowing you to say things like "bidirectional_iterator has
this and that, plus everything in forward_iterator".  But that could
easily be rephrased as "it has backward_iteration plus
forward_iteration" with two pages describing those two tags.

So I like the sound of it.  But it seems actually a pretty small
departure from the STL approach, in practice.

--bb