dcollections 1.0 and 2.0a beta released

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 13:43:03 PDT 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:35:03 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> When was the last time you measured? I thought the speed has largely
>> improved since Steve integrated his work.
>
> I have timed it after that integration. I have seen a performance
> improvement, but it's small. I can perform some syntactic benchmarks.

Performance was vastly improved for situations where one was appending to
multiple arrays at once.  For appending to a single array in a loop, it is
improved, but not that much.

But the main improvement was for safety.  The append operation on D's
dynamic arrays is a tradeoff between footprint, speed, and safety.  It
also does not and should not compromise performance on operations besides
appending.

You will always be able to outperform the D append operation with more
focus on the append operation, but D's array appending is fine for most
situations.

-Steve